Thursday, August 27, 2009

Gabby's Salsa Verde

Probably inspired by Kelly's Cambodian-influenced marinade, I am making a more concerted effort to collect the recipes of friends around me. My neighbor Gabby is moving back to Mexico this year as soon as her husband's job ends and I am going to miss her. We walked together in the early mornings long ago before I was pregnant with the twins. So I bought a few jalapenos, a bunch of cilantro and invited myself over this afternoon. Esther watched Stephen in the back yard with her kids and I learned the tips and techniques of making a mean salsa verde. Here is the basic recipe and then you can adjust to taste.

6 tomatillos, store frozen in a zip-loc bag
3 jalapenos, don't bother chopping, just pop off the stems
1 clove garlic
1 small handful cilantro
1 small wedge onion
salt to taste
squeeze of lime if you have it

Place the tomatillos and jalapenos in ziploc bags in a bowl in the microwave. Cook for 6 minutes, approximately. Dump cooked jalapenos and tomatillos in a blender along with the garlic, cilantro, onion, and salt. Blend until smooth. Add a squeeze of lime and more salt to taste. The general rule is two tomatillos to one pepper but you can reduce this if you like it milder or increase it if you like it hotter.

She always has this sauce on hand because it is Sagir's favorite and he eats it with everything! He likes his really spicy. For the kids, she makes it with fewer peppers. One breakfast they love is to heat the salsa in a pot on the stove and add corn chips. When they begin to soften, cover with cheese. Serve this with sour cream for breakfast. I didn't catch the name of this dish in Spanish. She probably said something like Cheesy Chips in Green Sauce. Interesting, but I bet it's good. Tonight we had leftover barbecued pork so I made quesadillas with it and we smothered them with sour cream and salsa verde. Whoa. Jeff and I were so surprised how good it was. Taste sensation. We did not feel like we were eating leftovers. Gracias, Gabby!

No comments: