Saturday, March 20, 2010

Amsterdam, Blijdorp Zoo, the Deltaworks

We had a packed weekend and looking forward to the Sabbath. Esther and Stephen and I made our way to Amsterdam to see the Rijksmuseum. It was begun with a bit of trepidation on my part--I knew I could walk it if needed but I didn't know how to get on the tram with a stroller and I just felt a little unsure. Turned out great, only a few wrong turns for my navigation but a trip to Amsterdam wouldn't be complete without it. I have been there half a dozen times now as a tourist--at least--and should know my way but I always seem to get off a little on my way back to the train station. And I couldn't figure out how to get Stevie and our bags on the tram and I didn't see a bus when we were waiting at the stop so we just gave it up and walked so more. We were bushed. But that was that.

The real joy of the day was that we had a lovely tour through the RIjksmuseum. There was an audio- tour about Eten and Drenken in the 17th century. Esther listened to the whole thing. From shipping spices, silver, dollhouses, Delft porcelain, and portrayals of food in still life to other important paintings by Vermeer and Jan somebody-or-other. And of course we saw the Rembrandts there. It was a joy to me that she enjoyed learning and thinking about what she saw. I couldn't do much other than keep the boy happy (he was very entertaining for a visiting class of Dutch teenagers) but I loved watching her studying the art with her earphones.That was a beautiful mental picture for me.

We then met Jeff at the airport since the train stops right at the airport on the way back to Rotterdam. You just pop out of the train, go up the escalator, find the giant red box that says "MEETING POINT" and voila, there was Jeff. We were so glad to see each other after a week in the Czech Republic.

Today we went to Blijdorp Zoo with the Falkenas. Luci had to work so we just went there with Maurits and Renske and Hylke. It was such a lovely day. There were new exhibits that we hadn't seen before. I liked the European wolves because they immediately brought the prowling Peter and the Wolf violins into my head. I felt like I'd fallen into a fairy tale just looking at them. Stevie liked the birds wherever we went. Jeff enjoyed the Oceanarium and Esther liked the tigers best. The crocodiles were staring at us behind glass. Too close for comfort. And we did NOT make eye contact with the famous Blijdorp gorilla.

Then we picked up Luci and took a drive to see new land being made. Really. As Luci said, God made the world but the Dutch made Holland--and they're still doing it. Several boats sucked up sand from the sea floor and shoot it out until it just piles up. They're making a new port, I guess. Jeff will add more details but it was interesting to me too. And the giant thing (technical term) that can close and protect Rotterdam from flooding in case of a storm at sea. Really amazing.

1 comment:

Art Through the Ages said...

I hoped that there would be stories here and viola! There are!! I'm so happy to get a preview of the trip. I will of course need more details. Can't wait to see you1