Wednesday, March 17, 2010

New things and things remembered

I had forgotten about Chocomel (boxed chocolate milk) and big boxes of milk. Esther likes the boxed milk. She thinks it tastes creamier and delicious. I still miss boxes of cream and milk that don't have to be refrigerated. They really helped my cooking options when we lived here. I could whip up a great pasta sauce and add a dash of cream without having to worry about keeping it fresh in the fridge. We watched a fun show on the BBC today called I Can Cook. Esther especially liked it. I think it is fun to hear British English "Tidy up!" and British accents. We want to have our own Kids Can Cook on Saturday nights--inspired by the Miller family in our ward. This BBC show was good to see because they really did allow the children to do the cooking themselves. Each child had their own bowl, rolling pin, flour dusters, etc. I think that's smart because my girl likes to be independent. We'll have more fun if instead of always making a cooking project together, we each make it by ourselves, side by side. Not for everything, mind you, but it might be more fun for some recipes. We'll check out bbc.co.uk/cbeebies for more recipe ideas.

I forgot about how everyone seems to have egg cups in their cupboards. I think it's funny because I don't know how often these get used. It must be a carry-over from across the channel. James Bond is the only one I ever knew of who ate a soft boiled egg in an egg cup. We bought one at the market yesterday just to have a reminder.

One thing I've seen a lot that I didn't notice so often before is a fridge that looks built-in. In our flat, the fridge has the same doorfront as the cupboards. At Eva's house they had the same. Of course, the fridge here is tiny. But the look is sleek. Another thing, the combo oven/microwave. I knew what it was. But I couldn't figure out how to work it. Jeff got out the Siemens instruction book. Turns out I was working it just fine but since the symbol on the button had worn off, I couldn't be sure. When you are warming up milk for a bottle on the stove top, it sort of sets a person back a few decades.

3 comments:

Montana Wilkins said...

Miss you so much! I love hearing what you're up to on your wonderful trip. That cooking show sounds so fun. You are such a great mommy. Love you!

stefinee said...

Eliza and I decided that your ideas about cooking alongside were good ones and I wish I had thought of them so that by this time we could have lots of memories of that rather than kitchen wars.
We miss you. The last two Wednesdays have been sad days for me. My office is just so vacant without Steven.
Love you.
Stefinee & Eliza

The Lays said...

The cooking show was fun, Janet! Cooking wars: Isn't it the truth, Stefinee? I mean, it brings to mind SO MANY mothering stories it's not even funny. The clash of your ideal mother/daughter in the kitchen moments you imagined before your baby was old enough to stand with the stark and bitter reality. Esther has a cute apron, and a small rolling pin but from now on, she's going to have a lot more of not just her own stuff, but also her own space.

I am glad to be missed. Stephen too. He's been loved here but he'll be glad to do some damage in your office again soon.