Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Mother Goals

My Family: Music, Service, Language, Literacy, Learning, Obedient, Faithful.

We were challenged in Relief Society to be prayerful and purposeful about raising our families. I am lucky to be surrounded by fine examples of motherhood and families thriving in their faith. I wrote some words that remind me of my own family, Jeff and me. I will think of more as I go. I am setting goals for each of these for myself and my children.

Music. I learned Primary songs and to love music from my mom. I learned to read the sacrament hymn during the sacrament to keep my thoughts focused on the Savior. She suggested I look up the scriptures referenced below each hymn when I was having trouble following the talks during high council Sunday. I learned to sing alto as we followed along together and shared a hymnbook. We liked to sing together in the ward choir. My mom taught me to serve with my piano playing. I may be shy about some things but I am not afraid to accompany a meeting. I am glad to be able to do this. I want my children to approach their music playing this way too. There are people out there waiting to be blessed by your music, Esther and Stephen. That's the approach I believe in.

Service. My mom has worked hard to help her children with their schooling. While I was still at home, she typed papers for me and edited for us all. We ate dinner as a family. There are both obvious and subtle ways to serve. I want to avoid being a martyr and enjoy serving my family. My goal is for my home to be orderly and clean because I make it so with daily routines. Flylady helps me never toss in the towel on this one. I still don't know how to best teach this one to my children. I suppose they will see my example but I don't think I'm the best at serving others outside of my family. I can improve in this area--looking around me for needs to fill.

Language. I love language learning and have worked really hard to learn French and then Dutch. I like speaking French to my babies. French rhymes and music helped me bond with Esther. One of my goals is that my children speak another language and learn of other cultures too. I will do this at home but also with books, travel, and foreign friendships.

All I have time for now.

2 comments:

Montana Wilkins said...

You are one of the most amazing women I know! I am always so inspired by you and love to learn from your example. You are the older sister I never had and I love that! Love you so much!
Janet

The Lays said...

Shucks, Janet. I get real prosy sometimes so thanks for suffering with my long-winded journal entry. You are my friend too.

I really do believe that being thoughtful about family-raising is a good thing. I've been busy the last couple weeks with a BYU class so my house is a flop and I'm lucky to get my homework done. Gotta love the ebb and flow.

Here's another thing about our family we were talking about the other day.

Jeff and I laugh that as we worked on getting Esther to be polite about new food at the dinner table, so evolved our family motto:

In our family, we try things.

It goes for more than just food.